Everyone has their own style. When you have found it, you should stick to it – Audrey Hepburn. Another quote says “A woman has two problems: Nothing to wear and no room for all clothes.” Where are we going with this? Most times we get overwhelmed with what to wear and what not to. Let’s face the fact, despite a room filled with clothes you end up wearing the same two or three shirts over and over again – hence the need for a capsule wardrobe.
What exactly is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a collection of a few essential and versatile items that never go out of style: skirts, trousers, coats which can blend easily with seasonal piece. It was originally coined by Susie Faux, the owner of a London boutique called “Wardrobe” in 1970. Though, the idea of keeping a capsule wardrobe was popularized by Donna Karan, who, in 1985 released a seven (7) collection interchangeable workwear piece.
How Do I Know A Capsule Wardrobe Is What I Need?
Be truthful to yourself when answering these questions
1. Do you consider clothes your major priority? Yes or No
2. Do you see yourself repeating clothes regardless of your full closet? Yes or No
3. Do you find yourself saying “I have nothing to wear” even though you have lots of things to wear? Yes or No
4. Do you sometimes find clothes at the back of your closet you have never worn? Yes or No
5. Do you find yourself buying clothes mainly because of discounts (sometimes the clothes are ill-fitting)? Yes or No
6. Do you find it overwhelming arranging your closet, so you just repeat clothes? Yes or No
7. Do you desire two things: Looking elegant without even trying or Having other things you’d love to spend money on? Yes or No
If you answer is 99% YES then a capsule wardrobe is what you really need!
How Many Clothes Should Be In A Capsule Wardrobe?
There is no right or wrong way to start a capsule wardrobe of your own. With that said, you can choose 30 to 40 different items to wear during a duration of 3 months. This includes shoes, accessories and jewelry.
How Do You Make A Capsule Wardrobe?
To build a capsule wardrobe
1. Select Your Base Colour
For a base colour, you may have to choose between black or navy. Why? Both colors especially black blend well with so many other colors in your wardrobe. Another reasons that it is easier if you choose one color. But, if your not a fan of either – brown would be a perfect choice.
2. Pick Neutral Color For Tops and Bottoms
Tops and bottom include essential and versatile clothes such as a short sleeve, sweater, long sleeve, T-shirt, skirt and button down top. The trick here is selecting neutral essentials: white, black, grey, beige or chambray.
Pro tip: Avoid black and navy combo they do not coordinate well. For example, a navy top with black pants would definitely look out of place. Instead, use the same base color for a monochrome look.
3. Choose Your Favorite Color as Your Accent Color
Accent colors are colors that look really nice with the base-color though not worn regularly so that it really draws attention. Always use a wardrobe coordinating color chart to make sure your accent color goes well with your chosen base color.
4. Don’t Forget to Add a few Patterned Items and Layers
Popular patterns include leopard prints, plaid, girgham willow pane. While layers include a denim jackets, utility jackets, black blazer and trench coats.
Add 1 -3 pattern items and layers to your capsule wardrobe. Patterned items can be tops, skirts, bottoms and dresses.
5. Add Shoes and Accessories to Your Capsule Wardrobe
The number of pairs of shoes and accessories solely depends on your lifestyle.
Shoes: Add a pair or two with same base color. Add a nude shoe – it not only elongates your legs but also goes well with everything in your wardrobe. Then add a casual pair, like sneakers, sandals or boots.
Accessories: One or two handbags will do just fine. Black or beige are great color combinations that would go well with your outfits. Add one or two scarves or statement necklace for a complete capsule wardrobe.
|Simple T-shirt or V-neck||Accesories|
|Button down shirt||Scarves|