What would you do if you got stuck in an elevator with a pregnant woman? Still guessing right? The movie Elevator baby which stars Toyin Abraham and Timini gives a glimpse of the unimaginable. produced in 2019, Elevator baby is a Nigerian drama thriller film directed by Akay Mason, produced by Niyi Akinmolayan.
Elevator baby centers around Dare (played by Timini Egbuson), an overpampered rich young man with no empathy who gets stuck in a faulty elevator with an illiterate pregnant woman who later goes into labor. The huge responsibility of helping Abigail (a former domestic staff of a company executive who falls pregnant for her boss’s husband) birth her baby forces Damilare to find the much needed home training.
When it comes to acting Nigerian actors no doubt do justice to their roles. Timini Egbuson (Dare), Toyin Abraham (Abigail), Shaffy Bello, Brodashaggi gave an outstanding performance and would have been more engaging only if the movie scenes didn’t feel rushed.
The movie also pays close attention to real life scenarios present in Nigeria:
- Dare – a first class engineering graduate with no employment. Why? No experience
- Attitude of employers in the corporate world
- Lack of healthcare emergency protocols
- Difficulty of men accepting their mum remarrying
- Importance of social media in our today world.
Another evident and commendable feature of Elevator Baby is the visual effects. The producers of Elevator Baby built the set (the lift) instead of using a real one – allowing skillful navigation and manipulation of camera angle and lighting.
But would I watch it agatin? No I wouldn’t. Everything seemed so rushed. The chronology of events causes you to raise an eyebrow – due to the credibility of the story. For example:
- How do you swiftly move from a driving scene to a club
- Dare at an interview – scenes were divided into three but only two people choruses the word “experience”
- How did Dr Ajibade get Abigail’s phone number so fast without anyone sending the message or even a message notification?
- Why was the elevator so far away when Taju was working on it?
- Why wasn’t there any replacement for Taju?
The first twenty minutes makes it difficult to understand what’s going on. Aside a few performance here an there, the movie is flat. Elevator baby clearly finds it hard to get a good ending but at least Abigail gives us a good laugh
Where Can You Watch Elevator baby?
Elevator Baby is currently streaming on Netflix
Cast and Crew
Directed by Akay Mason
Produced by Victoria Akujobi
Written by Yusuf Carew and Akay Mason
- Timini Egbuson as Dare Williams
- Toyin Abraham as Abigail
- Shaffy Bello as Mrs Williams-Ajibade
- Yemi Solade as Dr Ajibade
- Blessing Obasi as Secretary
- Ijeoma Aniebo as Nana
- Blessing Onwukwe as Mrs Njoku
- Sambasa Nzeribe as Stevo
- Emem Ufot as Jide
- Samuel A. Perry (Broda Shaggi) as Taju
Music by Gray Jones Ossai
Edited by Susan Ukuhor and Emiola Fagbenle
Director of Photography by Joseph Oladunjoye
Year of Release 2019
Running time 84 minutes
Language English, Yoruba